Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 editing, link and form field numbering

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 editing, link and form field numbering
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:35:01 -0400

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:34:20PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> While we’re on that topic…
>
> I recall having complained here about lynx converting, for instance,
> ‘…’ (U+2026) to “...” (three times U+002E) in input fields before
> submitting a form.

I assume it does that for the 7-bit approximations (it shouldn't
do that otherwise).

> As you can see, the “submit” button is still marked with [14] although
> it should have been a [16] (and 14<return> indeed goes to the fourth
> line, not to the button).

I hadn't noticed that one.

> Another bug with form field numbering is, that if you have an input
> field like this one:
>   <input type=text size=13 name="Kunde" ID="Text1"><br>
>
> You get the following:
>    [9]__________
>
> Basically, the [9] are three characters, and the text field’s size
> is reduced by these (probably due to layout considerations, but as
> HTML is flowing and line-breaking freely anyway, I don’t endorse
> these). Now this gets bad if the input field size is, say, 4. That
> example is actually from the webpage where my employer asks us to
> enter our working hours (i.e. start and end), and I don't like having
> only one or two “underscores” for a full 24-hour value to enter.

:-(

> I think this bug also is the cause for the already-reported misdrawing
> of the option screen:

perhaps - there's more than one place where an off-by-one can lurk here.

>   General Preferences
>   User mode                        : [5][(3)__Advanced____]
>   Editor                           :
> [6]jupp____________________________________
> _
>   Type of Search                   : [7][(1)__Case insensitive]
>
> There’s probably another off-by-one somewhere. (That was 80x24 uxterm.)
>
> Tom, I guess you don’t use link and/or form field numbering yourself,
> as these bugs have been existing for quite a while; may I ask you to
> check on them some time?

yes, I haven't forgotten (I've been working the past couple of months
to make vile handle Unicode, to finish off a release...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net