Re: [Lynx-dev] Is Lynx downloadable?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Is Lynx downloadable?
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 14:06:47 +0900

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:50:26AM -0400, Rob Cookenour - T.C. Lewis & Co.
Properties wrote:
> http://lynx.browser.org/

This link is pretty much bogus.  As I recall the present maintainer has
attempted many times to contact the owner of the site, but has never
gotten a response.  It's unfortunate that this legacy site continues.

> http://lynx.isc.org/

This is is the site that needs to come up first when googling.  Not sure
how that could be done.  This site is very to-the-point and easy to understand
and follow.  BUT, it clearly is biased toward downloading _source code_.

One can finally get some information about binary downloads by following
the stable release page (http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.6/index.html), but
some of the Win32 links are hopelessly out of date.

I think what's needed is a direct link from lynx.isc.org to something like
"precompiled binaries for WindowsXP/2000/98".  I don't think "Win32" is a
good name to use since it doesn't have much meaning for the majority of
people looking for Windows' software.

Within the last year or so I seem to recall someone (Doug?) posting a list
of the latest and fairly well maintained binary distributions for Windows,
but I wasn't able to find that post.  Unfortunately I have never used a
Windows port so I don't know much about it.  I think the following is
probably one of the best, but being in Japanese makes it somewhat difficult
to advertise for the international community:
   http://sourceforge.jp/projects/lynx-win32-pata/

Anyway, could lynxdevers maybe work up a little list of Windows' binaries
that Tom could then consider linking to from the isc page?  Thanks all.

> There's no need to reply

I think there may be a need (of a different kind) to respond to.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999