[Lynx-dev] Re: not setting background in lynx.lss when using--enable-def

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: not setting background in lynx.lss when using--enable-default-colors
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:33:21 -0800

"Larson, Timothy E." <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > >   > > Would it be possible to have lynx.lss not contain these lines:
  > >   > > normal:            normal:              lightgray:black
  > >   > > default:           normal:              white:black
  > >   > >
  > >   > > when lynx is configured with --enable-default-colors ?
  > >   > >
  > >   > > This would allow the background to have the default color (for
  > >   example > > white in xterm) instead of defaulting to black.
  > >   >
  > >   > But then the places where it's using yellow would be on white.
  > >
  > > That is a lot less annoying than the black background by default.
  >
  > I disagree.  Either assume the user has set all colors (for his personal
  > maximum legibility), or lynx should set all colors (for general maximum
  > legibility).  Half measures will result in low contrast color
  > combinations, which hinders usability.

Well, then a better solution would be to not use colors that don't have
good contrast on either a black background or a white background.
Changing the default to black does not seem such a good idea just for
that reason.  AFAIK all major X terminal emulators default to have white
background, and no other terminal application defaults to have a dark
background, so lynx changing the default to have a black background
is very strange.