Re: [Lynx-dev] License incompability with new GnuTLS releases

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] License incompability with new GnuTLS releases
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:08:37 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, Andreas Metzler wrote:

Hello,

lynx can optionally be linked against GnuTLS' openssl compability
wrapper library. The latest stable relases of GnuTLS (2.2.0) has a
changed license:

- Main library continues to stay LGPLv2.1+ (the "+" meaning "or (at
 your option) any later version")

- OpenSSL compability wrapper and PGP support is now GPLv3+ instead of
 GPLv2+.

indeed (it certainly sounds as if they don't want anyone to use it)

lynx' license is GPLv2 (without the "or later"-clause).

Since now lynx and gnutls-openssl license are incompatible it will not
be possible to distribute binaries of lynx linked against
gnutls-openssl anymore. This is basically the same situation as with
OpenSSL. I guess changing lynx' license is not feasible due to huge
number of authors, therefore the only doable only solution I can think
of is to convert lynx to use GnuTLS' native interface.

(I'll look into it - thanks ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net