Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx windows xp and or vista

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx windows xp and or vista
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:53:32 -0500

> Thank you Stefan and Thomas for your assistance!  Once I've installed Lynx I
> may ask for assistance configuring Lynx to leave no trace in browsing and
> cache histories.

Ask away. The lynx.cfg file is self-explanatory.

> On an unrelated note, do you know how to get the benefit of using a proxy
> server if your ISP disallows using manual configuration of a proxy server?
> That is how do you get that  "buffer" that allows you to hide your IP address
> and surf the internet anonymously if your ISP doesn't allow manual proxy
> configuration.

Not sure I understand this. An ISP may provide proxying. It will not
provide anonymity. You are their customer and they would be required
to log your activity. A third party may provide proxying, and they may
not log your activity.

ISPs generally would not be able to control your browser settings
unless they were providing managed services and not just a connection.
They could attempt to block outbound port numbers to common proxy
services such as 3128 and 8080, but that doesn't sound likely. OS
settings can prevent proxy configuration, but ISPs usually just edit
Internet Explorer's settings as opposed to configuring and enforcing a
Windows System Policy.

Stefan Caunter
http://caunter.ca/contact.html