[Lynx-dev] Re: 2nd Call: SVG: title, desc and text

From: ~ : '' ありがとうございました。
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: 2nd Call: SVG: title, desc and text
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:41:47 +0000

Thomas,

how is progress on lynx recognising SVG?

just providing the <title> content would be amazing.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

address@hidden
http://www.peepo.com/

+44 (0) 20 7978 1764

On 6 Feb 2008, at 11:45, ~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:

Thomas,

thanks so much for the prompt reply, appreciate the busy aspect, and welcome doability ~:"

it would be enormously helpful if lynx recognised SVG as a filetype, without an html wrapper.

ie displayed appropriate content in the case where someone navigated directly to an SVG file rather than one embedded in html as an image, the first step is to provide the document title for SVG files:

Opera for instance uses the title content in this file:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Black-cloud.svg
as a label for the window, and as the default text when bookmarking.
Lynx could probably display it in the same manner as an html document title, ie at the head of the document.

I am available to provide suggestions, comments and testcases as required.

two weeks is a stiff timeline, will chase then...

kind regards

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

According to the SVG specification a title with content, should be the first element after the <svg> element[1]

Where title is provided, the author may be expected to have understood the purpose, and generally this content may be useful to people using, Lynx, screenreaders or search engines.

please find attached a link to one very simple testcase [2], and a slightly more complex testcase[3] with a brief description.

I am available to comment and provide further testcases, as the project develops.

kind regards

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

working with Charles Chen of FireVox I proposed the following:
provisionally adapted by me for Lynx

1. Check if the first child is a <title> and it has content, not just whitespace, then display it, else display “untitled SVG”[2]

then only for elements that can take "focus" such as anchors, in each of the 4 cases in the testcase [3].

1. Check if the first child is a <title>, if so, display it...
and if
2. The child is <a> with an xlink:title attribute: display the xlink:title attribute, possibly adding "linking to" between 1 & 2

or

1. Check if The child is <text>: If it has content, display it.
and if
2. The child is <a> with an xlink:title attribute: display the xlink:title attribute, possibly adding "linking to" between 1 & 2

Planning for the future.

It is evident that if we wish to engage people who use screenreaders or search engines we need to enhance the semantic content of SVG. This will require commonly agreed standards, guidelines and a techniques document if screenreader developers and SVG authors are to understand the requirements.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Black-cloud.svg
http://www.peepo.co.uk/temp/focusable.svg