Re: [Lynx-dev] Goto URL whose name is provided by a program ?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Goto URL whose name is provided by a program ?
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:05:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

Hi,

Thomas Dickey (2008/07/12 12:50 -0400):
I'd run lynx from a script that reads the url from stdin and sets the
STARTFILE to that value.

That wouldn't solve the problem, because I need to visit the URL
_during_ a session, after lynx has received some cookies from the server
it will send while requesting the URL provided by the script.

To give a bit of context, this is intended to reach URLs that are
normally activated by javascripts. I have hacked through these sccripts
and know what the URLs look like, and so I would like to be able to call
from lynx a scipt that would produce these long URLs which depend only
on a few parameters, rather than typing them all the time (the URL
history helps, sure, but still it's annoying).

You could do something like that as an external-viewer, but that would involve running another copy of lynx as a subprocess (not good for navigation, since you'd have to exit the subprocess to return to the process containing the history up to that point).

The only thing analogous to reading a script is the provision for running
an external editor in textarea's (which would-be-nice-if the same feature
worked in any string-prompt).

Perhaps what you're looking for is some hybrid of those two areas (requiring new code to support it).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net