Re: [Lynx-dev] Old Lynx - copyright status?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Old Lynx - copyright status?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:32:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Patrick wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:23:29 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Patrick wrote:

I managed to find a copy of Lynx 2.0.9 some time ago, from 1992,

Sorry, 1993.  I was looking at the copyright date, not the
CHANGES file.

on the FilWatcher FTP search engine.  Won't compile for me [*many*
warnings, then a fatal error], but may be of historical interest
to some.  The source tarball is also just below 50webs' 500k
per-file limit, so I could put it there.

However, this version was released before it was placed under the
GPL.  So... whose permission do I need?  Do I need permission, or
has it already been given?

Does it have a README, or something like that?  (I'd grep for "Kansas").

Yes, but that describes how to use it, not what you're allowed to
do with it.

(C) 1992 Lou Montulli, University of Kansas -- with a lot of
material by Michael Grobe and Charles Rezac, and others too I'm
sure.  A lot of the documentation may belong to the University of
Kansas, because it describes their CWIS [as it was in 1993 at
least].

That's a lot of permission, so I'd hoped for a simple answer
here, if anyone remembers that far back.  Oh well.  Guess I'll
start asking around...

I don't know - the oldest version I've come across was 2.4 (which is dated
late 1996 - well after the changes to copyrights).

Now that I'm looking at it, the CHANGES file is over a year older than that, and doesn't mention copyright. The sources include a src/LYCopyRight.h file dated 1995-02-10, which cites 1994 as the most recent copyright for University of Kansas, while COPYHEADER (dated 1996-01-12) says 1995.

It would have been nice if CHANGES had been updated to reflect these changes (but at least it does have _some_ dates).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net