Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: progress on dev.10

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: progress on dev.10
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 07:23:27 +0100

Thomas Dickey wrote:

* parse doctype for xhtml, to tell when empty tags such as "<textarea />" can
  be discarded (report by Nils Dagsson Moskopp) -TD

This should be conditioned on the media type not on the DOCTYPE.

And I can't access links on remote pages. It's like if I was accessing a text file, but with some colors. FTP links work.

I see (on your example).  It's one of the xhtml pages...

When I downloaded it with Firefox, it was an "HTML" page (i.e. XHTML with Appendix C limitations, intended to be read in error recovery mode by an HTML browser).

To the author of that page, could I point out that the use of Appendix C (XHTML served as HTML) is being more and more questioned. The problemes are that:

- it has internal inconsistencies;
- it is resulting in a large amount of invalid and even not well formed XHTML being in the field.

--
David Woolley