Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: progress on dev.10

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: progress on dev.10
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 06:54:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Thomas Dickey wrote:

I made two small fixes, and it seems to work now.

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/lynx2.8.7dev.9k.patch.gz

Thanks. Everything is working, except that I use ISO-8859-1 and some pages don't display accents anymore. An example is http://vascoexpresso.net/

Bad: Johnny enumera as suas caractersticas
Good: Johnny enumera as suas caracter?sticas

I don't think I tested it with 9j, but it works with dev.9.

9j/9k look at this line

        <?xml-stylesheet href="/ve.css" type="text/css"?>

and because it's saying that it's xml without specifying a charset, assumes it's UTF-8. (Someone is sure to point out a third case which lets it be "unknown", but that's the way I understood the standards in this area). However, I see the following

so I agree there's a conflict to be resolved.

That's this item:

* parse xml processing-instruction to turn on UTF-8 decoding, as well as
 disable upper/lower case transforming in source view -TD

hmm - I know that lynx is processing both, will have to see why the meta
logic isn't resetting the xml setting.  (This might be a pre-existing bug
that I happened to expose ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net