Re: [Lynx-dev] uxterm vs GNU screen weirdness

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] uxterm vs GNU screen weirdness
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

Thomas Dickey dixit:

           '``aaffggiijjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz{{||}}~~'
'++\,\,--..00``aaffgghhiijjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz{{||}}~~'.

The left-arrows are mapped with

#define ACS_LARROW      NCURSES_ACS(',') /* arrow pointing left */

which means those escaped commas.  If xterm's _not_ in UTF-8 mode, then
none of the different mappings work, because none of them are VT100-compatible.

So I basically have to ensure xterm is ALWAYS in UTF-8 mode¹, then change
the terminfo/termcap database source, to fix this?

yes (that's a simple solution). From my standpoint, I still have to support either configuration, so the solution isn't simple.

① which it is in MirBSD, since nl_langinfo(CODESET) invariablily returns
 "UTF-8", similar for setlocale with LC_CTYPE

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net