Re: [Lynx-dev] Connect-timeout

From: Paul Gilmartin
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Connect-timeout
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:43:22 -0700

On Nov 29, 2008, at 02:34, David Woolley wrote:

Dries.DeMoor wrote:

The call to the url starts some processing which takes more than 5 hours.

Most browsers would give up after just a few minutes!

I believe there is an HTTP response (Status 100???) which allows one to say "please wait". If that's right and Lynx supports it, a better approach would be to have the application periodically send that response.

Dries may not have control over the server which would allow
him to do this.  But if the CGI is named "nph-"whatever.CGI,
he may be able to assert some control over the responses
returned by the server, and even their timing.

Do browsers manifest the "please wait" response to the human
viewer?  I have a similar problem; I don't know about timeout,
but while a process that may take a couple minutes runs I
issue in the HTML a blip line every few seconds to show that
the process hasn't died.  Is there a better way?

--
David Woolley

Which is why I trimmed an address in the header.

-- gil