Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7dev.11a.patch.gz

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7dev.11a.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:31:06 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Dickey dixit:

> Why are you stripping the brackets?  As I read the code, it appears to
> only be doing a wildcard comparison on the strings.

Normalisation. We don’t know if the certificate has the brackets, but the
URL has them anyway, however, they are only needed for the URL. So we need
to strip them to get the address. (Brackets are also sometimes used with
domain names, not just numeric IPs, try lynx http://[www.mirbsd.org]/ and
see it works.) Better safe than sorry.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant