Re: [Lynx-dev] LYNX: how to make lynx FORGET file WAS protected (no long

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] LYNX: how to make lynx FORGET file WAS protected (no longer!)?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:10:57 +0000

David Combs wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 08:07:57AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:
David Combs wrote:
Trying to download something.

Lynx correctly complains that it cannot -- permissions wrong.

So I ^z and fg into kermit and set the permmissions a+r.

Then I fg back into lynx, and try it again.

Same complaint.  (It's the OLD complaint -- it
 remembered it DID have wrong permissions.)
This could be a server side problem. Many servers have "friendly" error pages. Quite a lot of these are mis-implemented and return a 200 status page, rather than a 403 status one. It's quite possible that a subsequent refresh may refresh the friendly page, or even do a successful if-modified-since on the original page.

Kermit should not be caching 403 responses, but it should be caching a 200 response.

Note some servers even reply with a client side redirect to their friendly pages. In fact, it is such client side redirects that usually end in 200 status 403 responses!

Reloading the page will cancel the effect of any client side redirect and will mean that if-modified-since requests can't be used.

--
David Woolley

Thanks for the informative response, David.

The isp I use is panix.com (manhattan) shell-account -- so I
sent your reply to their people.

Here's the reply I got:

| From address@hidden Wed Dec 24 03:30:47 EST 2008
| Article: 129043 of panix.questions
| From: address@hidden (Eleanor J. Evans [Panix Staff])
| Newsgroups: panix.questions
| Subject: Re: How to make LYNX *forget* a file *was* (no longer) protected?
| Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:10:46 +0000 (UTC)
| | >From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
| >To: address@hidden
| >Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:07:57 +0000
| | >David Combs wrote:
| >> Trying to download something.
| >> Lynx correctly complains that it cannot -- permissions wrong.
| >> So I ^z and fg into kermit and set the permmissions a+r.
| >> Then I fg back into lynx, and try it again.
| >>  remembered it DID have wrong permissions.)
| | >This could be a server side problem. Many servers have "friendly" error
| >pages.  Quite a lot of these are mis-implemented and return a 200 status
| >page, rather than a 403 status one.  It's quite possible that a subsequent
| >refresh may refresh the friendly page, or even do a successful
| >if-modified-since on the original page.
| | >Kermit should not be caching 403 responses, but it should be caching a 200
| >response.
| | >Note some servers even reply with a client side redirect to their friendly
| >pages.  In fact, it is such client side redirects that usually end in 200
| >status 403 responses!
| | >Reloading the page will cancel the effect of any client side redirect and
| >will mean that if-modified-since requests can't be used.
| | We are sending a 403; we are not doing a friendly redirect. | | I tried this with a page on my own site, first setting its permissions
| not to be group- or world-readable.  lynx correctly handed me a 403.
| In another window, I reset the permissions on the page.  When I
| reloaded in lynx, it handed me a 403 again.  When I reloaded a second
| time, it retrieved the page.
| | Trying it a second time, it took 3 refreshes to make lynx recognize
| the change.  Although, interestingly, it recognized the forbidden
| status right away.  And again, it took 5-6 refreshes (I lost count).
| And doing it *again*, it loaded it right away.
| | Firefox, on the other hand, had no such lag. | | Which is to say, I don't know what's going on, but I don't think it's
| server-related.
| | -- | Eleanor J. Evans, address@hidden
| Customer Support, (212) 741-4400
| |

Hmmm.  You mentioned kermit.  Kermit wasn't involved when running

That was a typo!

If it is a server side issue, you need to see what is actually being sent and received, not to look at it as a black box problem.

--
David Woolley