Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx iconv for Solaris

From: Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx iconv for Solaris
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 03:35:00 +0900

Thomas Dickey-san wrote (12/25/08 08:41 PM):
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center wrote:

Thorsten Glaser-san wrote (12/24/08 03:30 AM):
Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center dixit:

Solaris iconv is implemented in libc so I modified
CF_ARG_ENABLE(japanese-utf8) in configure.in however autoconf doesn't

Your configure patch is bogus, but it'll be regenerated anyway.

What do you mean this?
My patch won't break other platforms.

The comment was poorly worded.  (I'm the person who reviews and merges
patches). If I'd commented on it, I might have said something like "the patch for aclocal.m4 is sufficient" - particularly if the configure script were re-generated, which would lead to a large difference with line-numbers. Since the patch was short, there was no reason to comment, and since I'm currently working on lynx, it's likely to be a "short" time til I get to this one, and add the change in, etc.

OK, my understanding is you ask more comment in my patch.
Generally speaking, I think the change of configure doesn't need to be provided
because configure is generated by autoconf.
So I'd like to provide the change of configure.[in|ac] only but autoconf is
failed below.

-------------------------
% aclocal -I .
% autoheader
autoheader: warning: missing template: ALL_CHARSETS
autoheader: Use AC_DEFINE([ALL_CHARSETS], [], [Description])
autoheader: warning: missing template: CJK_EX
autoheader: warning: missing template: DIRED_SUPPORT
% autoconf
configure.in:51: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:123: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
% echo $status
1
-------------------------

autoconf is failed with no definition of AC_DEFINE because autoheader is failed
with the wrong definition of AC_DEFINE.
AC_DEFINE needs three arguments but the configure.in has two or one argument.

-------------------------
    AC_DEFINE(ALL_CHARSETS,0)
test $use_cjk != no && AC_DEFINE(CJK_EX)
-------------------------

So I modified configure directly at the moment.
I mean the change of configure is not needed once configure.in is fixed but I
also attached for example.

However, some libiconv have iconv_open instead of or in addition
to libiconv_open, this should be reminded.

You didn't understand my patch.

I did - it was something I hadn't noticed (recently enough to recall).
Given that change, then I'm curious to see how portable it is (whether
other platforms can use the same change).

OK, I can explain the change one by one.

Solaris libc doesn't have libiconv_open os it should be removed.
That's why I put 'case $ac_cv_target' in configure.in.

I'm working on the Solaris development.
I'm asking my patch to be integrated into the lynx trunk.

( thanks for the patch ;-)