Re: [Lynx-dev] No rendering of http://www.google.de

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] No rendering of http://www.google.de
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:13:08 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

* Thomas Dickey [081226 23:10 +0100]
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

Hi all,

connecting to http://www.google.de a less session of unformatted
source of page is displayed. http://www.google.de/linux renders
fine. Any hints?

from "here", I get what looks like a reasonable page for
http://www.google.de

I'm puzzled by "a less session".

But if I didn't see a reasonable-looking page, I'd take a look at the
trace ("lynx -trace http://www.google.de";) to see if Lynx.trace (in your
home directory) shows anything odd about the GET and response.

Here's what I have in the trace

GET / HTTP/1.0\r
Host: www.google.de\r
Accept: text/html, text/plain, text/css, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01\r
           ^^^^^^^^ (this line is where you may have a problem)

Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress, bzip2\r
\r

# rm ~/.lynx/cookies
# LC_ALL=C LANG=C LANUAGE=C lynx -trace http://www.google.de

Looking up www.google.de
Making HTTP connection to www.google.de
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
'A'lways allowing from domain '.google.de'.
Data transfer complete
less '/tmp/lynxXXXXbmWszQ/L15962-5528TMP.txt'

lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or
text/plain
     Exiting...

This is:
Lynx Version 2.8.7dev.11 (14 Dec 2008)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, ncurses 5.7.20081220(wide)

I've been using just the internal media types because Debian's mime.types
file has been growing steadily.  Adding the system's types tends to break
things, since lynx adds all of the types it knows to the "Accept" line.
So the solution may be just to reduce what it knows about, in the Options
menu - the "Preferred media type":

  Password for anonymous ftp       : ___________________________________________
  Preferred media type (!)         : [Accept lynx's internal types]
  Preferred encoding (!)           : [All_____]

I tried it with the "Accept all types" setting, and got a "Bad Request"
response; the server may do other interesting malfunctions, depending
on conditions.

Thanks
Elimar

--