Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7dev.12

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7dev.12
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 12:47:22 -0500

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 04:39:15PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Thomas Dickey dixit:
>
> >(two minor issues
>
> Thanks for the heads-up, will tend to that on import.
>
> >* add configure option --enable-ascii-ctypes to enable EXP_ASCII_CTYPES -TD
>
> Unless it has a description, what does it do?

in INSTALLATION

  --enable-ascii-ctypes                 (define EXP_ASCII_CTYPES)
        Compiles-in alternative case-conversion functions which ensure that
        configuration names, etc., are compared in POSIX locale.  This is
        important for operating in some locale such as Turkish.

> >* fix an off-by-one difference between UTF-8/non-UTF-8 comparisons in
> >  HText_appendCharacter() which would leave an extra character wrapped in
> > some
> >  cases, e.g., in the options menu when field-numbering was turned on -TD
>
> Great, thanks! Will test.

That might be the problem you had reported - I'm unsure.

> Another one you probably know about is the search highlighting, which
> assumes 1 byte = 1 column still (highlight foo in the following line:
>       «bar» foo baz
> displays:
>       «bar» fofooaz
>               ^^^ <-- highlighted chars

I recall fixing _some_ of this a while back...

> >* improve configurability with regard to pkg-config by adding
> >--with-pkg-config
> >  option, which can be used to enable/disable use of the program as well as
> >  specify the pathname used (prompted by comments by TG) -TD
> >* correct handling of --with-ssl option when pkg-config is not found -TD
>
> Thanks.
>
> While at it... do a ^Xe on an inputarea, write (or read in) a *lot*
> of text, exit the editor, it will increase the height of the input
> area but will not renumber the links-and-form-fields which FOLLOW
> the input area (so that some numbers are used in two places, making
> them inaccessible).

I hadn't noticed the latter part (not renumbering...).  There's a comment
regarding form-numbers:

/*
 * Check if the given anchor is a TEXTAREA belonging to the given form.
 *
 * KED's note -
 * [Finding the TEXTAREA we're actually *in* with these attributes isn't
 * foolproof.  The form number isn't unique to a given TEXTAREA, and there
 * *could* be TEXTAREA's with the same "name".  If that should ever be true,
 * we'll actually get the data from the *1st* TEXTAREA in the page that
 * matches.  We should probably assign a unique id to each TEXTAREA in a page,
 * and match on that, to avoid this (potential) problem.
 *
 * Since the odds of "false matches" *actually* happening in real life seem
 * rather small though, we'll hold off doing this, for a rainy day ...]
 */

which may be the same problem.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>