Re: [Lynx-dev] Passing url to jumps?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Passing url to jumps?
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:45:43 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Robert Mortimer wrote:

>       I was wondering if there was a way to pass the currently being
> viewed URL to a URL configured in the jumps file or else where?
>
>       I've had ahunt through the documentation and can't find a way
> to do this, but it would be terribly hadny as it would make it far
> easier to use sites such as digg and tinyurl etc, if they could be
> configured as a jumpsite but with the current URL appended to them,
> e.g.
> http://somesite.com/add?http://current-url.com/

I don't know that you can do that directly, but you may be able to use
one of the lynx features which is very poorly documented, paste from
and copy to a "clipboard". With this feature you can copy the URL of
either the document you are in or of the link which is highlighted
to a "clipboard". In Windows, this is the Windows Clipboard. For
other platforms, you need to define the commands in the environment
as "RL_CLCOPY_CMD" and "RL_PASTE_CMD". The copy command is bound by
default to "^S" (even though it doesn't show in the list of bindings
in lynx.cfg). The paste command is not bound by default, and you
have to create a binding in lynx.cfg (I usually use "^Y", binding it
to "PASTE"). With the paste command, you can paste the URL into a
text field (as when doing an online search). If you are operating in
Windows, you can paste from the clipboard to any Windows program using
the usual Windows hotkeys. When not in Windows, the copy to clipboard
command generally creates a temporary file. Since you know the name of
the file (specified in your RL_CLCOPY_CMD command), you can copy it
into non-lynx programs.

I know this doesn't answer your original question, but perhaps it will
help you solve the problem. It will at least let you save a copy of
the URL without having to copy it by hand.

For reference, the commands I use for DOS are:
RL_CLCOPY_CMD=redir -o NUL tee d:/djgpp/cliptemp
RL_CLPASTE_CMD=cat d:/djgpp/cliptemp

Basically, copy will pipe the URL to your command on stdin, and paste
needs your command to output the URL on stdout.

The capability for copy and paste is in most platforms for lynx. You
have to be using EMX or Windows, or have popen on your system (look for
"HAVE_POPEN" in lynx_cfg.h).

                              Doug

--
Doug Kaufman