Re: [Lynx-dev] urg: looking for statically linked binary of lynx, please

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] urg: looking for statically linked binary of lynx, please help!
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:07:49 +0000

Y P wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:22:31PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Y P wrote:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:44:52PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
Y P dixit:

For which operating system, architecture, etc?
It seems to be CentOS, so it's rpm (RedHat-based);
when doing cat /Etc/issue I see:
CentOS release 5 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m

What architecture? Not everyone uses 32 bit Intel 686. (uname -a is more useful that /etc/issue.) The package structure is irrelevant, particularly if you don't have root access.

I'd suggest that you try compiling it - but getting a static glibc
would be painful.

I'm not root on that machine, I can't add things, except my own scripts or
so in ~/bin/

Seems to me that you can use a dynamically linked version, as long as you have an appropriate LDLIBRARYPATH. Even if there wwe some reason why you couldn't have shared objects, you could static link private libraries and dynamic link system ones.

--
David Woolley