Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7dev.13 - Patch and unsolved problems

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7dev.13 - Patch and unsolved problems
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 01:00:38 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> AFAICR, MingW didn't have gettimeofday() until a few versions back.
> I think it was added in v3.10 (approx. a year ago).
>
> > src/LYCurses.c: The screen clearing code for DJGPP and mingw was not
> > working. The DJGPP code had been ifdef'd for "not PDCURSES", so wasn't
> > being picked up. The MINGW code was not being picked up since it was in
> > a section ifdef'd for "not _WIN_CC".
>
> Okay, but what about MSVC with PDCurses? Seems you patch doesn't include
> this combo.

I didn't address this, since I don't have MSVC. I presume it defines
_WIN_CC. If so the handling wasn't changed. It should get a resetty()
followed by fflush(stderr). If it needs more, I think the code I put in for
mingw should be compatible with any PDCURSES version, and you could
change the ifdef to include MSVC. Do you have the ability to test that?

> > src/LYIcon.rc: a new file for compiling the lynx icon into the
> > executable for MINGW. This can be ignored if not desired.
>
> Cool! But you didn't send the LYicon.rc and lynx.ico files. Please
> send me them to me privately so I can test them.

The LYIcon.rc file is included in the patch (diff -u vs a blank file).
It is just one line. The lynx.ico I use is the lynx icon Wayne Buttles
distributed with the initial Windows port. My copy is dated 15 March
1997 and accompanied the Windows binary of lynx2.7ac-0.6, dated 7
April 1997. The icon is still available in an old lynx Windows zip
file at "ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.1/lynx_w32.zip";, which is a
little more recent. I'll email you the icon privately, so you don't
have to download the old zip file.

> > +LYIcon$o:
> > + windres -i LYIcon.rc -o LYIcon$o -O coff
>
> IMHO, a resource file should be named LYIon.res (it's not an object
> file).

See the info file for windres. It states "If the input or output format
is not specified, windres will guess based on the filename"..."a file
with an extension of '.res' will be treated as a 'res' file and a file
with an extension of '.o' or '.exe' will be treated as a 'coff' file."
With the "-O coff" directive, windres produces coff object or
executable. I am not sure why we should call it a "res" file when it is
coff binary code, but remember that I am not a programmer or computer
professional.

                            Doug
--
Doug Kaufman