Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-8-7.pre1 : lynx.cfg re storing sessions

From: Paul B. Mahol
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-8-7.pre1 : lynx.cfg re storing sessions
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:40:50 +0100

On 3/18/09, Philip Webb <address@hidden> wrote:
> AFAIK the  2  lines at the end of the following msg have not been added:
> they do add an important bit of explanation for users.
> As we are approaching a Big Release, could you perhaps fix this ?
> If you see a problem, please explain & we can debate it (smile).
>
> -- msg from of yore --
>
> 080517 Paul B. Mahol wrote:
>> On 5/17/08, Philip Webb <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I just updated to dev9 & enabled session cache.
>>> How do I get Lynx to store all my sessions in the same file ?
>>> I don't want odd session files scattered all over my directories,
>>> but that seems to be what it does without further instruction.
>>> I would like to use  ~/.lynx_session  whatever directory I invoke Lynx
>>> from.
>>> I tried doing it via the 'o'ptions page, but it didn't work.
>> Yes, I know, code which handle ~/ stuff is broken/missing
>> and I dont have time to fix/add it.
>
> No problem with that: thanks a lot for adding this feature to Lynx.
>
>> Instead use full directory name: /home/username/.lynx_session
>
> That was my guess, but it was at the end of a long day (smile).
>
>> First put following lines in global lynx.cfg file:
>>   ENABLE_LYNXRC:auto_session:ON
>>   ENABLE_LYNXRC:session_file:ON
>> And after that start new lynx session and configure file via 'o' page.
>
> No, that doesn't work: the 'o'ptions list still shows session with '!'
> & if you enter the file name there, it isn't saved in  .lynxrc .
> However, if you simply enter the full dir name in  lynx.cfg ,
> it is recognised even when Lynx is started from a subdir.o

That kind of bug have been fixed eg, ENABLE_LYNXRC:*session* now works
when thay are put in global lynx.cfg.

> For TD : I suggest adding to  lynx.cfg  after the line
>
>   # (The current working directory may be changed inside lynx)
>
> the lines
>
>   # If you want to use the same session file wherever you invoke Lynx,
>   # enter the full path below, eg '/home/<username>/.lynx_session'.

No, it cant be added to _gloabal_ lynx.cfg because today most of OS are
multi user, and when session_file is read it doesnt check for current
<username>

Perhaps session stuff should be enabled by default in lynxrc so users
dont need to invest their time in enabling fetaures in global lynx.cfg
and instead use 'o'.