Re: [Lynx-dev] Host Header Information

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Host Header Information
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Graham R. Shutt wrote:

I run Ubuntu 8.04.2 on Linux crusoe 2.6.25.4.emp2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 11
13:58:21 EDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux.  I can access many web sites with Lynx.
Recently, however, I tried to access my own web site with lynx 2.8.6rel4 and
received an "HTTP/1.1 406 Not Acceptable" message.

The company that hosts my web site told me that Lynx does not support
sending "host header information." (Apparently, the solution, from their
point of view, would be to have a static IP address assigned to my domain).

Other text-based web browsers, such as elinks and w3m, work fine with my
site.

My question is this: is there any interest in enabling Lynx to support host
header information -- assuming that this is a correct diagnosis? Are there
other issues involved?

Either they explained it incorrectly, or the diagnosis is incorrect.
(A quick check with w3m showed it uses an equivalent "GET" on the page
that was mentioned in the previous remark about 406's).

If they have a valid concern, I can look into it...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net