Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7pre.4

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7pre.4
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:51:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Stefan Caunter wrote:

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
Sure - we could find the maintainer, argue with him/her, and then add a
feature to work around the problem.  Reading the source for mod_security, I
didn't see a lot of use in spending the time arguing.

There are always the three configuration possibilities for lynx, the
command line, [O]ptions, and lynx.cfg, each with its own context.
Command line has had the -useragent=Name for quite some time.

I might have to revisit the command line -useragent (since users would expect Lynx to send it unconditionally in that use case).

In [O]ptions:

Send User-Agent header (!)       : [ ]

won't get saved to .lynxrc without changing the ENABLE_LYNXRC lynx.cfg
setting to ON.

right - I did that intentionally, to match the existing use of the useragent string.

Just thinking about maintainers and distributions; can there be
lynx.cfg settings for SEND_USERAGENT and possibly USERAGENT itself?

I suppose it could be, but it didn't occur to me to change the scope in that way. The ENABLE_LYNXRC feature for USERAGENT dates back to 2.8.5dev.9 in late 2002. Before that, it was editable in a session, but the result wasn't saved. (There were long arguments about the non-saved data in .lynxrc long ago).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net