RE: [Lynx-dev] HTML BUTTON element

From: Larson, Timothy E.
Subject: RE: [Lynx-dev] HTML BUTTON element
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:37:42 -0500

> Actually the button tag behaviour in all browsers i've tested is to submit
> the form in which it is, without any javascript.

Button type does default to submit according to the spec (HTML 4.01, section
17.5), so I guess the correct behavior in those cases would be for Lynx to
submit the form.

> The reason i'm using it is
> because it can be easily styled with css styles.

One can make buttons look like plain text or hyperlinks, and you can make text
look like buttons.  So that's basically irrelevant.  The question is does the
UI conform to user expectations.

> Moreover, Lynx does not hide it, but renders a useless [BUTTON] text, why?

That's the most faithful representation of what's on the page, as can be
rendered in the medium?  Better to have something representing the button, than
nothing.  Perhaps it would be an improvement to have it say [NAME BUTTON] where
NAME is the value of the name attribute.  But if the button type is submit or
reset, it really ought to do that.

Tim