Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML BUTTON element

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML BUTTON element
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 15:10:34 -0400

090528 Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> Button type does default to submit according to the spec
> (HTML 4.01, section 17.5), so I guess the correct behavior in those cases
> would be for Lynx to submit the form.
> The question is does the UI conform to user expectations.
> Is that the most faithful representation of what's on the page,
> as can be rendered in the medium ?
> Better to have something representing the button, than nothing.
> Perhaps it would be an improvement to have it say [NAME BUTTON]
> where NAME is the value of the name attribute.
> But if the button type is submit or reset, it really ought to do that.

This is a long-standing source of complaint & debate re Lynx.
My view has always been that Lynx should try to help the ordinary user
rather than slavishly adhering to the word of the HTML rules.
That would mean an option to treat buttons as instructions to submit,
which wb activated like any other link when 'Enter' is hit.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca