Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7pre.5

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7pre.5
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 00:47:34 -0700

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> * remove "Bad HTML" warning for buttons outside a form, since those can be
>   inline, according to the HTML 4 DTD -TD

I'm not sure any of those warnings are particularly useful.  They just
disrupt viewing of common web pages.  Trying to get a web site to change
their ways to accomodate Lynx (even if standards agree with you) is a
losing battle...

Is there currently a way to disable all "BAD HTML" messages without
turning off other messages?  If not, can one be added?

I was going to complain generally about "Bad HTML" messages not
explaining what was wrong, but I see in the source that many of them
do; while others just use LyBadHTML().

No, on closer look it's worse -- it gives the generic "Bad HTML" message
unless you're tracing, even when the more specific messages are compiled
into the binary and available to the caller.  I don't see the benefit
of a generic "** Bad HTML!!  Use -trace to diagnose. **" message vs. a
specific "Bad HTML: BUTTON tag not within FORM tag" or whatever it is.
It's just an unnecessary step for people who actually want to debug it.
For people who want to ignore it, the words "Bad HTML" probably turn the
brain off quickly enough that it doesn't matter what follows.

Personally I would like to be able to suppress all of them but still
have them logged to where LYNXMESSAGES: would retrieve them -- in their
expanded (rule-specific) forms.