Re: [Lynx-dev] predictable PRNG used

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] predictable PRNG used
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 16:03:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

Michael S. Gilbert dixit:

Actually, it *could* be linked against libbsd.

i've just checked.  at least on debian, lynx has no dependency on
the libbsd0 package, so it is thus not using it's arc4random.

Yeah, I meant that as a suggestion to Atsuhito (I hope I spelled
that right from the back of my head).

But back to improvements - are the OpenSSL and *shudder* GnuTLS
RAND_* functions self-seeding on GNU/Linux? They could be used
if Lynx is built with SSL support anyway and arc4random is not
available. (I'd prefer arc4random though...)

iirc, they recommend adding outside sources of randomness (which is
hard to do thoroughly).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net