Re: [Lynx-dev] restricted access [Error 403]

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] restricted access [Error 403]
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:32:58 +0900

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 01:19:53PM -0400, Stefan Caunter wrote:
> > | ?Client: [my ip address; deleted]
> > | ?User Agent: Lynx/2.8.6pre.3 libwww-FM/2.14 SSL-MM/1.4.1 OpenSSL/0.9.7d
> > | ?Server: ipmc3
> > | ?Time: Tue Jul 28 07:42:35 2009 EDT
> >

> Much conversation about this recently. Many sites have a default
> implementation of an apache module that blocks useragent strings that
> include 'lynx'.
> With lynx -useragent="googlebot"
> http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1062147 page
> is served.

Thanks so much, Stef.  I will work on it, since NIH shouldn't be in
the business of blocking access.  They may even be in violation of
federal law, but I won't be approaching them that harshly.

> We could ask for them to not implement this apache module, but
> generally this isn't going to be met with either understanding or

Who is pushing this module, the Apache org people themselves?  Certain
OS distributions or bundles?

Anyway, thanks again for helping me understand the problem.

__Henry