Re: [Lynx-dev] A shot in the dark..

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A shot in the dark..
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 04:22:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Robert wrote:

Hello, I have a question, and one that may just be a really jiffy, do you happen to have the ports to BeOS? I am looking for both the source, and the executable as I am looking to port over Lynx to haiku... I know it's a shot in the dark, but I am hoping you might just a have a copy... thanks!

I have a Beos R4.5 and a 5.0 - all of the source is as in the regular releases. It's been a few months since I visited this - from memory, I have a "workable" executable for R4.5 since that platform's network drivers happen to work. The 5.0 platform's network drivers do not work with the hardware (and since it's a multiboot with about ten OS's, I didn't want to modify it further - the other nine work). An executable from that might work. I didn't test-compile using the 5.0 recently.

The big porting issue with BeOS is the select call, which only works for
networking.  Lynx also would use select for polling the terminal (as in
NSL-fork), but that doesn't work.  Largely it relies on ncurses for this
type of thing (where I've implemented a workaround - also in released
source).  I recall seeing comments that said 5.0 was supposed to have
a patch which would implement a Unix-like select, but don't recall finding
a usable copy of it.  Since my 5.0 isn't network-capable, that would have
been just for test-compiles, anyway.

Both are on old boxes - I'll make a note to boot them and see if I can
get an executable.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net