Re: [Lynx-dev] large files

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] large files
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:28:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

Bogus Strawman dixit:

I can't download large files with lynx - it dies on the "traditional"
2097151 KB limit - it just hangs with no error message. I tried
compiling it myself - version 2.8.7rel.1 - checked the config log and
it reported no special handling was required for large files. I tried
this on centos 5 and SUSE 10 sp2.

May be the webserver. Some, including mine (Apache derivate...) cannot
handle large files on 32-bit platforms because they use long instead
of off_t proper for indicating file sizes (and they happily send a
wrong file size to the client instead of none at all).

that (and filling up /tmp - or whatever LYNX_TEMP_SPACE points to)
are both possibilities.  But this is harder to check than the other.

Also, there's always the possibility of a bug that no one noticed
before.  If I had lynx hanging, I'd verify that _it_ is not stuck
by attaching it to gdb and seeing what tracebacks I'd get from
the first attach, and then (next/interrupt) if it's not in the same
area.

Lynx doesn't do much that's specific to large-file access. The host may require some specific version of the stat() function (and fopen/fclose),
while lynx may need a specific formatting type to report values above the
traditional limit.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net