Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:33:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Kristopher Kycia wrote:

Hi,

I have a pre-compiled version (2.8.7rel.1) of Lynx for MS Windows. I am not using any "terminal software" or the likes. When I view a webpage with accents, the accented characters display other ASCII characters rather than the correct characters.

Mostly that's an issue with the library used for display.

That might be one of the ones that I compiled - there are three installers
here:

http://invisible-island.net/datafiles/release/lynx-setup.exe
http://invisible-island.net/datafiles/release/lynx-cs-setup.exe
http://invisible-island.net/datafiles/release/lynx-sl-setup.exe

The first two are built with PDCurses 3.4, and the last with Slang 2.1.4

A quick check on my machine (using the files in lynx's test-directory) shows that the last is displaying ISO-8859-1 more/less correctly, and that the PDCurses versions are using "other" characters such as the line-drawing codes.

I have tried to change the markup (HTML) to use "é" and the likes, this has ZERO effect. Same characters appear as if I used the accented characters in the first place (directly in the page).

My Lynx Display Character Set is "Western (ISO-8859-1)" and the assumed document character set is "iso-8859-1" with raw 8-bit "ON".

The HTML webpage has at the very top:

Which is supposed to support French, Spanish and German.

Can someone please tell what I need to do to get Lynx to properly display my "accented" content?

Thank you,

Kristopher R. Kycia

--
Thomas E. Dickey