Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents

From: Kristopher Kycia
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:32:51 -0500

Well from the following page (W3Schools):

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

Western ISO-8859-1 defines all the "extended" characters using either numeric or alphanumeric entities (é ç etc.). So from this HTML RELIABLE reference, I am using the correct character set for French characters.

Now why Lynx (with the correct settings) is not displaying correctly, I fail to understand.

Someone has replied saying it MIGHT have something to do with the BUILD/COMPILATION. Maybe so, however I find it VERY ODD that a DISTRO which has a DEFAULT configuration of Western (ISO-8859-1) DOES NOT WORK.

I mean, THEY MUST HAVE AUTOMATED TEST CASES to pick up on this sort of error (wrong display)? I have gone on other websites (with French) and they all display INCORRECTLY the same characters as from my website. I am a Software Developer, so it seems pretty funny that language checking would not be part of the test cases ran against a build. Something DUMB has to be wrong (some setting somewhere).

Also pls. no "temporary/alternate" builds that may display some (but not most) characters... This is like visiting your local Toyota dealer and saying: "Well the car is fine, however 2% of cars might suffer from a defective gas pedal." You may or may not notice the problem...

Sincerely,

Kristopher R. Kycia

----- Original Message ----- From: ""Sándor Halász"" <address@hidden>