Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents

From: Kristopher Kycia
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:56:28 -0500

Okay,

So I have made the STUPIDEST TEST EVER:

All I have done is CHANGE the code page to 850 (Latin I).  I didn't use any of the CONFIG.SYS stuff.

ALL I DID was type at the DOS prompt:

CHCP 850 (Enter)
LYNX.BAT (Enter)

And ALREADY I SEE A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT.  But it ain't PERFECT:

Instead of displaying ç as "ç" I get a comma ",".
Instead of displaying à as "à" I get TWO CHARACTERS "'a".
Instead of displaying é as "é" I get an "e".

So unless we sollicit the help of some HARD CORE coder...  MY QUASI FIX IS "Add CHCP 850" to the LYNX.BAT.

Anyone feeling like spending more braincells on this problem?  Someone would need to explain why changing the CODEPAGE to 850 makes Lynx somehow INTERPRET a whole new mapping table...  (Not to mention USE MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER to display).  This sounds like BLACK MAGIC to me...  Not something I'm ready, willing to tackle.

Whoa I kinda feel like a "Rocket Scientist" today... :)

Kristopher R. Kycia