Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents

From: Kristopher Kycia
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:09:27 -0500

AFAICT, Lynx on Win32 uses cp437 as it’s a console programme.

Tried it, it works.  Thanks.

By the way, UTF-8 is the standard these days…

Not for DOS. You need to use codepages to switch out the contents of the character table to support languages. For example instead of having the lines, borders and the likes, codepage 850 (Latin 1) substitutes these and adds a bunch of other letters such as Greek, French, German and the likes. As per DOS, it includes 11 languages... You only have 256 characters... If it supports 11 languages, you can be sure that the character table has been totally reordered.

Your mails come over somewhat rude and shouting. I’d suggest to stop that.

I'm not shouting, I trying to emphasize on "what to read as important". Some of the e-mails are a little long winded... And for the people interested in the problem... Most of us read "diagonally". I'll reduce my use of capital letters...

More on the US-ASCII (7 bit approximation): I looked into this problem until 2 AM yesterday and well it struck me. Currently Lynx is now using 7 bits to display the webpage. It is no longer using the top 128 characters because most accents are now displayed as the letter itself. Some exceptions as I have mentionned are the comma "," which is meant to be the ç This happens as soon as I enable the LOCALE_CHARSET:TRUE. This might be because it does not support codepages on the DOS platform.

I switched to cp437 (as per Sandor and Thorsten). Accented characters display correctly.

However, I would be tempted in saying that the ISO-8895-1 (Latin I) character set is more complete. And that codepage 850 supporting 11 languages is probably the equivalent to it. I think the cp437 will not work for all languages (in some web pages). However for my use, it will work.

Thanks for your input,

Kristopher R. Kycia