Re: [Lynx-dev] rev=made and identifying page author

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] rev=made and identifying page author
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:30:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:

I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of the history behind the rev=made
feature in lynx?  The current implementation violates HTML in a couple of
ways:

docs/CHANGES2.3 says this:

12-15-93
* ownership is no longer inherited.
* link rev="owner" href="mailto:ADDRESS"; now accepted as well as
  link rev="made" href="mailto:ADDRESS"; to define the URL of the
  owner or person responsible for the info.

That's "when".  For "who" - I don't know, other than by context that it
wasn't Foteos Macrides.

1) It only looks for the attribute on <link> hyperlinks and not on <a>
hyperlinks
2) rev=made implies that the email address was made by the page, rel=made or
rev=made by would be better

I don't see this in the HTML 4.0 spec...

        http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

I'm also wondering if anything that isn't lynx supports this, as I can find
very little documenation on the format anywhere.  Would there be any
interest in using more modern (and these days common) formats like hCard?

- --
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
Please see <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted.

--