RE: [Lynx-dev] Version Inqury

From: Johnson, Tracy
Subject: RE: [Lynx-dev] Version Inqury
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 09:30:58 -0500

Well, since HP doesn't know who wrote the port (I presume they have read
any readme file or source in it's subdirectory) I'm going to guess that
HP will not be able to send me a copy.

I've been getting explicit permissions from various authors who wrote
various code on the MPE platform.  The lynx port is just one of them.

To explain here is the effective situation:

1) The platform in question was the INVENT3K machine that HP had on the
Internet for a number of years.

2) HP has donated that platform's license to OpenMPE, Inc.  (I sit on
the OpenMPE board, this is my task.)

3) HP included everything on that machine except for code and ports
written by private individuals and outside parties.

4) OpenMPE has in turn, put that platform back on the Internet.

5) HP will cut me a tape (file) from the original machine for the code
that I got permissions.  The last person at HP who has access do that
machine will be powering that machine down, effectively turning off the
lights at the end of the month.

6) I've been tracking down permissions from these individuals and
parties.  I'm in the process of forwarding those to my contact at HP.

7) Then I can put the code back on the INVENT3K machine.

So far I've gotten permissions from most of the known parties.
Obviously, code marked as "author unknown" (such as lynx) has been
harder to track.  This is what led me here.

The worst case is OpenMPE will never get the code.  Since OpenMPE will
be making the machine available again, someone could write a new port,
if desired.

Tracy Johnson
Office 1-757-766-4318
address@hidden