[Lynx-dev] Problem submitting forms in Unicode

From: Lim Hayseng
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Problem submitting forms in Unicode
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:09:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi there,

I’m trying to submit a form with Unicode characters. The characters are displayed ok in the form prior to submitting, but once I click submit, they are transmitted in “crippled” form. For example with the input string:

Một hai ba bốn năm sáu (Vietnamese)

What is transmitted is:

Mo>-.t hai ba bo>'n nam sáu (Unicode characters are converted to ASCII-256 characters).

I’m using lynx 2.8.7, and have already done the changes required for displaying Unicode: I’ve changed the display character set to UTF-8, the assumed document character set to utf-8, and changed the terminal (putty) character set to UTF-8. All Unicode characters from the webpage are displayed correctly. Prior to clicking “submit”, the Unicode characters typed into the form are also displayed correctly in the lynx window. The corruption only happens just before form content transmission.

This is not a webserver problem because if I use another browser (say, Firefox) then everything is ok.

Any insight on what I can do?

Thanks!