Re: [Lynx-dev] problem with readonly==disabled assumption

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] problem with readonly==disabled assumption
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:59:11 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, David Paschal wrote:

Hi.  Somewhere between Lynx versions 2.8.6 and 2.8.7 a change was made to assume that "readonly" text-entry
fields on a webpage should get the "disabled" attribute applied in Lynx's internal representation of the
page.  I suspect the intention behind this change was to ensure that the field was actually unmodifiable on the page,
which it accomplishes successfully.  However, an unfortunate side effect of this change is that upon form-submission of
a page, any "readonly" (and therefore disabled) text fields are omitted from the submitted data, causing
problems with websites that expect the previous read-only data to be provided with the submitted form.  Other web
browsers (Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome, etc.) presumably pass the "readonly" data with the submitted form the
way Lynx used to before this change was made, because otherwise such websites wouldn't work properly with those other
browsers either.

thanks (I'll revisit this to see if I can find a better solution).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net