RE: [Lynx-dev] RE: Lynx 2.8.7 bug report - suppplemental

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: RE: [Lynx-dev] RE: Lynx 2.8.7 bug report - suppplemental
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:15:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, RR - Rod Regier wrote:

Hi Thomas.

Alas the "TCPIP" mode build still fails on
OpenVMS/Alpha V8.3 and OpenVMS/I64 8.3-1H1,
as detailed in my original bug report.

I would speculate that the "TCPIP" build mode might have worked
on earlier version of OpenVMS with earlier versions of the
distributed C library (7.2?), but that is no longer the case by V8.3.

I have been forced to abandon attempting to build/workaround
LYNX 2.8.7 from scratch, and have reverted to using a
"AEST" binary translated copy of Lynx Version 2.8.4dev.14 (03 Nov 2000).

If you come up with a solution at some future date
I would be interested in hearing it.

It's probably a small change that's needed.  I don't have access to VMS
(that ended, it seems, when HP turned off their test-drive a few years ago). If I were debugging it, the first thing I'd do would be to make
a listing file for the module that's failing to compile.

Lynx builds up the compiler options in the variable cc_opts.
Line 212 of build.com for instance provides for a debug-build.
That's a good place to add the listing option, e.g.,

$ cc_opts = cc_opts + "/DEBUG/NOOPT/LISTING/SHOW=ALL

The "/show=all" part (case doesn't matter) tells the compiler to show the results of includes, and expanding macros. A copy of that file (which would be rather large... can you zip it and send it as an attachment?) would show enough details about the compile to make it simple(r) to see where the fix needs to be.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net