[Lynx-dev] html5 canvas support, anyone?

From: Philip Ashmore
Subject: [Lynx-dev] html5 canvas support, anyone?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 05:33:06 +0100

Hi there.

I'm writing some Qt JavaScript classes that anyone can create user interfaces with,
on a html5 canvas.

In case you don't know, Qt is a suite of c++ libraries upon which KDE is based.

The intention is for the browser to one day be clever enough to step in with some
real Qt widgets, as a performance improvement.

Then anyone could download web applications straight into their browser, like they do with Java, but with html5 canvas elements as the applications user interface.

It occurred to me that things like scroll bars and list boxes already have
their equivalents in html, so lynx has a lot of the pieces there, apart from
JavaScript.

The canvas 2D context has strokeText() and fillText(), so you could get text on the terminal that way. It would lose a lot of html mark-up, but web apps properly written could work fine in lynx with a html5 canvas and user interface element implementations
provided by lynx.

If it takes off I can see lynx replacing the myriad of terminal programs out there, and because the user just needs an internet-connection/local-storage and the url of their favourite (whatever) tool, they will need very little besides lynx + SpiderMonkey
installed by default.

What about audio elements?
Ascii art video?

Let me know what you think.