Re: [Lynx-dev] RCS to Git

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] RCS to Git
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:03:07 -0400

>Absolutely.  git is overused and misused.  Its development model
>supports the "everyone does their own thing and then when we're ready
>for a new version, the changes are merged and made public."  It seems
>too cathedral and not enough bazaar.

Respectfully ... I think you're confusing the tool with how it's used.

I've used git on a number of open-source projects and the development
model seems to be more about the way the project is managed.  Some
projects prefer the code not end up in the main git tree until it's
close to release, so everyone ends up doing the lion's share of the
development in repository clones until release time.  Other projects
encourage a lot of branches where developers can do there work but
other people have access to those branches.  So saying that git is too
cathedral and not enough bazaar is more a statement about the
developers rather than the tool.

I will admit to being a fan of git; we switched from CVS to git for nmh
because all of the major developers said, "Boy, coming back to CVS sure
seems awful after having used other revisions control systems for a
while".  I'd be in favor of lynx switching to git, but I fully
recognize that's it's not up to me.

--Ken