Re: [Lynx-dev] RCS to Git

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] RCS to Git
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:30:25 -0400

>I don't think so.  The very point of git is that it's a decentralized
>system.  Everyone does their own thing and everything is kept from the
>"thousand eyeballs" until all the changes are pushed and merged.

If you have all of your developers clone the repos, yeah, sure, that's
how it ends up.  You don't HAVE to do it that way (I've seen it done both
ways; having everyone clone the repo is a lot more convenient because
people can work off-line, but it's not a requirement).  So I don't see
this as a disadvantage; if you want a traditional client-server model
then you can do that, but if for whatever reason you don't then you don't
have to.  Honestly, I don't miss the CVS model.

>code as soon as it's committed (of course, you could push to the central
>git repository on each commit, but that betrays the stated advantages of
>such a system and is twice the number of commands).

You can configure git so an extra command is not required.

>Also, I notice that git is SLOW.  Doing something that takes seconds
>with CVS takes minutes with git, and things that take minutes with CVS
>takes hours with git.

I'm sorry, that is completely the EXACT opposite of my experience.  Every
task I've wanted to do with git is much faster than CVS.  You are the
only person I've seen who has suggested that cvs is faster than git.
I'd be interested in hearing some examples of what you are talking about.

--Ken