Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx -dump -width caps out at 1000 characters

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx -dump -width caps out at 1000 characters
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:15:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Jay Hacker wrote:

I'm trying to dump some web pages with very long paragraphs, and it's
important to maintain correct paragraph boundaries.  I tried:

   $ lynx -dump -width 1000000 mypage.html

but it seems paragraphs still get wrapped at about 1000 characters.
Is there a hard limit on the maximum paragraph wrap width?  Can it be
increased?

long:

It's a compiled-in limit.  There are a few interrelated limits, including
this, and some scattered buffer-sizes (which as I recall are assumed to
be larger than this).  This is also an assumption in the memory-allocation
scheme used that this size is fairly small relative to the chunk-size.

short:

with some work, it's probably doable to rebuild lynx with a larger fixed-limit (and making that configurable is an item on my to-do list), but eliminating the fixed-limit altogether is a lot of work, because
lynx uses a _lot_ of fast allocations when building up the display.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net