Re: [Lynx-dev] Transferring page text from lynx to vim

From: Graham Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Transferring page text from lynx to vim
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 07:12:29 -0700

Thank you for your responses, I should have given you more information.  I have no professional background in IT, just personal use; of lynx < 2 years, linux < 1 year, vim < 1 month.  Mostly what I do with my computer is write notes concerning the use of the linux apps I use.  Currently most of my notes are about vim.

In lynx, I google my question, choose the response that speaks to my level of expertise and either copy and paste some text from lynx to vim or in xterm issue the command
lynx -dump url > file
then in vim I do
:r file

My most recent discovery in vim is :map and so I immediately wanted to do something like
:map ln :!lynx -dump url > file<CR>:r file<CR>

The sticking point is the value of url, how do I get it programmatically, hence my question about a global variable.