Re: [Lynx-dev] Fwd: two lynx issues: lynx.isc.org appears to be down, mi

From: Jonathan Oksman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Fwd: two lynx issues: lynx.isc.org appears to be down, mirror site mistake
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:46:38 -0400

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> isc.org domain is okay, but the lynx.isc.org machine went down sometime in
> the past couple of days.  (I've been checking it 3-4 times a week). The
> machine is on their site somewhere; I emailed my contact there yesterday
> afternoon to see what's wrong.

*snip*

> ok.  I was very busy with $dayjob for a couple of days, so the actual
> time was unclear.

Ok great.  I figured you were aware of the website being down but I
just wanted to make sure.  $dayjob has a fantastic way of piping spare
time to /dev/null.

>> I noticed something else strange while validating the version I was
>> trying to download (the most recent 2.8.7 archive).  Here are the
>> results of md5sum on the three files I grabbed from the mirror, which
>> indicates to me that the file "lynx2.8.7.tar.bz2" is referring to
>> rel.1 instead of rel.2.
>>
>> 493af4c77ef6761e3f0157cd1be033a0 *lynx2.8.7.tar.bz2
>> 493af4c77ef6761e3f0157cd1be033a0 *lynx2.8.7rel.1.tar.bz2
>> cb936aef812e4e463ab86cbbe14d4db9 *lynx2.8.7rel.2.tar.bz2
>
> that might be just my error in setting up the site.

That could very well be the culprit then.  The filenames are quite
similar and it could have just been a symlink typo.

> lynx.browser.org is someone else (I've no control over that).

Good to know.  I always thought it was a bit strange when
lynx.browser.org came into existance as it just immediately points to
the isc site anyway.

I've always enjoyed lynx since I discovered it and it is my goto
browser in linux.  Just trying to be helpful!  Thanks for the quick
response.

Jonathan