Re: [Lynx-dev] Finally got cookie file to save (2.8.7rel.1)

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Finally got cookie file to save (2.8.7rel.1)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:09:41 -0700

At 08:35 p -0500 11/14/2011, Thomas Dickey didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 08:28:41PM -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
 I've had Lynx version 2.8.7rel.1 for a while, and was never able to get
 it to save my cookies before. I *finally* got it working, and I don't
 know if the error was a program bug or a documentation bug.

 # COOKIE_SAVE_FILE is the default file in which persistent cookies are
 # stored at exit, if Lynx was compiled with USE_PERSISTENT_COOKIES and the
 # PERSISTENT_COOKIES option is enabled.  The cookie save file can also be
 # specified on the command line.
 #
 # With an interactive Lynx session, COOKIE_SAVE_FILE will default to
 # COOKIE_FILE if it is not set.  With a non-interactive Lynx session (e.g.,
 # -dump), cookies will only be saved to file if COOKIE_SAVE_FILE is set.
 #
 #COOKIE_SAVE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies

 See, the documentation says it's not necessary for an interactive
 session, but I found that it *was* necessary. That is the only way I got
 the file to appear.

 Whew.

 (And yes, COOKIE_FILE was already set.)

was PERSISTENT_COOKIES set?
(just checking - I don't see anything obviously incorrect in the logic).

Yup, unless there's some invisible character mucking it up.

BTW, now each time I launch Lynx and go to Google, it says unexpected
server disconnect and it doesn't remember me from the previous
session; I have to log in again each time.

So maybe the problem is with the persistent cookies setting?
Was there a bug fixed in a later version?

.h2 PERSISTENT_COOKIES
# PERSISTENT_COOKIES indicates that cookies should be read at startup from
# the COOKIE_FILE, and saved at exit for storage between Lynx sessions.
# It is not used if Lynx was compiled without USE_PERSISTENT_COOKIES.
# The default is FALSE, so that the feature needs to be enabled here
# explicitly if you want it.
#
#PERSISTENT_COOKIES:FALSE
PERSISTENT_COOKIES:TRUE

.h2 COOKIE_FILE
# COOKIE_FILE is the default file from which persistent cookies are read
# at startup (if the file exists), if Lynx was compiled with
# USE_PERSISTENT_COOKIES and the PERSISTENT_COOKIES option is enabled.
# The cookie file can also be specified in .lynxrc or on the command line.
#
#COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies
COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies

.h2 COOKIE_SAVE_FILE