Re: [Lynx-dev] Make a patch under Debian

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Make a patch under Debian
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:57:50 -0500

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:34:09PM +0100, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I corrected the translation files for multiple languages where possible in
> relation to this bug http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=484250

thanks ;-)

However, I did note that patches for the .po files should be sent to
the translation project.  I'll do that if you want.  The reason for
doing it that way is because the translation project maintains those
files.

> I proceeded as described in the README file using the sources of the current
> version lynx-cur.tgz.
>
> My directory lynx2-8-8 contains another directory orig/lynx2-8-8 with the
> originial sources.
>
> When I enter the command "$ make lynx.patch" I get the following message:
>
> make: No rule to make target 'lynx.patch'. Stop.

hmm - I hadn't looked at that for some time (see below).  But with
a little tweaking (the README's misleading), I can make it work.  Here's
the directory layout it's trying to describe:

        orig
        orig/lynx2-8-7
        lynx2-8-7

The last directory of the three is the one where the configure and
"make lynx.patch" should be done.

> What did I miss? How do I make a patch to correct?
>
> Otherwise I could send a patch (with diff-u) for each modified file.

What I do is actually more like a diff -r -u for the whole directories.
It's actually with a script that calls diff and diffstat, which I use
from my directory editor...

But just a "diff -r -u" should be enough.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net