Re: [Lynx-dev] non-ascii characters in URLs

From: David Dorward
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] non-ascii characters in URLs
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:08:07 +0000

On 3 Jan 2012, at 11:00, Klaus-Peter Wegge wrote:
> to demonstrate the problem and to avoid long discussion on
> charactersets I attach a small sample html-file.
> The w3c validator says this file is valid html.

The requirements imposed on the href attribute by the specified DTD (which is
surprisingly obsolete) that the validator will check against are:

  href        %URI;          #IMPLIED  -- URI for linked resource --

Which expands to:

<!ENTITY % URI "CDATA"
    -- a Uniform Resource Identifier,
       see [URI]
    -->

Where CDATA is defined as:

> CDATA is a sequence of characters from the document character set and may
> include character entities.

With a note:

> For some HTML 4 attributes with CDATA attribute values, the specification
> imposes further constraints on the set of legal values for the attribute that
> may not be expressed by the DTD.

This is definitely one of the latter, so what the validator says in this
instance is not very relevant.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk