Re: [Lynx-dev] A possible modification to Jumps

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A possible modification to Jumps
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:35:36 -0500

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:50:04AM +0000, Mark Skilbeck wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 06:48:17PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:07:02PM +0000, Mark Skilbeck wrote:
> >
> > I was asking for clarification.  As long as a new twist on an existing
> > feature doesn't break older configurations, that's always a plus.
> >

> I see. Yeah, I have been trying to think of a way to implement this cleanly
> that isn't going to break BC. My initial thought was to just have the extra
> text be defined as the text following the first space:
>
>   ddg search query -> jump id: ddg
>                       extra text: search query.
>
> Does anyone really use jumps with whitespace in them? It would make it a lot
> easier to write.

well... a "jumps" file is a definition-list, which doesn't have a
way to specify by itself any parameters.  Back to your original
suggestion, it's not clear how lynx is to choose the text that
is substituted in the "%s".  For instance (assuming that lynx is
going to inspect the url and see that it has a place to add a parameter)
is it going to
        a) prompt for input
        b) pick the data from the current anchor
        c) whatever

> > thanks (I like patches).
> >

> I'll send the patch tomorrow. Are you guys using a VCS of any sort?

short: yes
longer answer here:

        http://invisible-island.net/lynx/lynx.html#patches

> Point of inquiry: how many developers are active?

basically just me (some people send patches - Thorsten has).

I'm overdue for a patch, intending to work on lynx after my current work
on mawk...

The last set of changes I have from my local archives is here:

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net