[Lynx-dev] Lynx mangles some UTF-8 chars on POST (KMM184778069V18779L0KM

From: james
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Lynx mangles some UTF-8 chars on POST (KMM184778069V18779L0KM)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:19:27 -0700

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 07:58:17PM -0800, Yahoo! Mail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Mail Customer Care.
>
> I'm not really clear on the issue that you are experiencing.
>
> To help us get a better understanding of the issue, please reply with
> the following details:<SNIP!>
>
> Regards,
>
> Wendy
>
> Yahoo! Mail Customer Care
>
> 92482568
> CA Mail Tech E2Y

When I said the message was deleted on POST, I was using technical
jargon referring to the HTML/HTTP from submission. Briefly the steps to
reproduce were:
1. Create New message
2. Fill out 'To', 'Subject' and body with a *specific* message.
3. Select submit/send
4. Observe message body is missing in sent mail folder.

At the time of my original message, I had verified that my ISP was
likely not tampering with the message by using a second ISP that uses a
separate routing path.

I have since done further testing in an attempt to rule out my
web-browser as the problem. It turns out that my web-browser was
submitting invalid UTF-8 data during POST. Yahoo! mail blanking the
invalid field was likely correct, if cryptic behaviour.

I have attached sample text and a Lynx.trace log that can be shared
publicly. I have cc'd the lynx-dev mailing list. I have not yet tested
with the latest development version of lynx.

The UTF-8 character string in question was: E2 80 99
On the wire (line 139 of the Lynx.trace) this gets sent as:
%C3%A2%80%99, an invalid UTF-8 sequence. The correct string would be:
%E2%80%99
Other examples in sample text:
EF BF BD -> %C3%AF%C2%BF%C2%BD
Note: It appears I copy&pasted the substitution character. The resulting
sequence is valid, but appears to be "dumb" per-byte code-page
conversion.

Regards,

James Phillips

<SNIP!>